Sunday, May 18, 2014

Happy Birthday, Mom!

Firstly, in case any of you needed reminding as to how amazing my mom is, please read posts HERE and HERE

Today is my Mom's birthday! She will be showered with love, compliments, gifts, and happiness on her day from friends, family, and loved ones all over the place. Including me, all the way here in China! While I can't be there in person to celebrate her special day, I've sent her flowers and all of my love in my absence. 


On Mom's special day, I want to add to the growing list of reason's why she's the absolute best mom in the entire world. Legit!

-- You taught me some pretty important life lessons. How to be independent, how to stand up for myself, and how not to take everything for granted and be thankful for the small things.

-- That time I was scheduled to have surgery and we stayed at a hotel the night before. When we woke up, you couldn't see your hand in front of you because it was snowing so hard. You drove the 15 minute drive (which actually took closer to an hour because of the storm) to the hospital to find out as we arrived that the surgery was cancelled. It wasn't the first time you fought extreme weather conditions to drive me somewhere I needed to be.

-- In times of need, you and Dad have always been there to get me out of trouble. Every single time.

-- When I got my tattoo, I can safely say you were completely against it. It took me a long time to decide to get the tattoo because I didn't want to disappoint or upset you. After getting it, you and Dad came to Fredericton and we spent the day together. I saw you looking at it, but I never brought it up or asked your opinion. When you dropped me off at my house, you rolled down your window as I was walking away and said to me, "Melissa, I guess it's not THAT bad." I will never forget that.

-- You put up with fight, after fight, after fight between Brad and I. While I'm sure you wanted to pull your hair out at times, and you did have to raise your voice quite frequently, you got through it and our relationship never weakened because of it.

-- I've never been afraid to be honest with you. You are accepting and patient, and I think that reflects in the bond that we have.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: If I didn't have you as a Mom, I'd definitely chose you as a friend. You are an amazing listener and give the most sound advice. I love you to the moon and back, always and forever!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! With love, Melissa. 

No comments:

Post a Comment