Thursday, November 1, 2012

Happy Birthday, Amanda!

Today is my amazing friend Amanda's 23rd birthday! Amanda and I go back about 5 years. We met when we both lived in Holy Cross House during our first year of university but didn't become the kindred spirits that we are today until our 4th year when we were RA's together in Vanier Hall. Then we became roommates during our grueling year as education students. And now we are beginning our lives in the "real" world - her in China, and I in Calgary. 14 hours apart. When this all came about it almost seemed impossible to stay in touch with someone so distant. But when you have a friend as dedicated, loyal, and kind hearted as Amanda, it's hard to not have that constant light in your life. 


I guess what I'm trying to say here, Amanda, is that I miss you and I wish you a million birthday wishes and only wish that I could celebrate with you. Hopefully this blog post will help connect us across the miles and affirm the love and admiration I have for you, friend!

On your 23rd birthday, I want to take one of your birthday blog post rituals and give it back to you. Here are 23 reasons why I'm glad I have you in my life (mostly in the form of memories):

(In no particular order): 

1. You encouraged me and motivated me to start this blog. When I complained on several occasions that I didn't know what to write about, you reminded me that the blog could just be for me. I'm thankful every time I write a post that you got me doing this, because I'll have these memories and writings with me forever. 

2. You always know the best time to have a spontaneous dance party. 

3. You love trying new things (and inviting me along for the ride). Even little things, like making banana muffins. 

4. John Cougar Mellancamp. 


5. You appreciate a classic road trip. Those road trips to Vermont are some of my favourite memories with you, and I'm so glad I have them to cherish forever. 

6. You introduced me to the joy of Gilmore Girls. I'm sorry that we didn't get to watch more of it together, but every time I watch an episode I'm reminded of you. (PS - OMG! Luke has a daughter. And Rory and Logan...me no likey. He's gonna really hurt her. He has so many times already. I still don't think Luke and Lorelei are gonna get married. I can't believe he hasn't introduced her to April yet! I'll be sad when the series is over...) 

7. Friday Night Lights - all of the tears and laughter. Clear eyes, full hearts, can't loose. 

8. Remember that time you, Alex, and I went and saw the Breakfast Club in the theatre and it was my first time seeing the movie. Now I've watched it 5 times. And every time I think of you.

9. Snooty Fox. And the charm of the rooftop patio.


10. Numerous Sunday suppers.

11. Sitting on my screened in porch, sipping beer, and just enjoying each others company.

12. You always remind me how important it is to read for pleasure. I admire how quickly you go through books, and how you are always reading something for yourself. I try to be more like you in that aspect, and am thankful that I am - because I've read more in the last 2 years than I have...ever!

13. You also remind me how important it is to journal. Even if it is just a sentence or two. Those memories, when written down, can truly last forever.

14. Winning a cheer off together.


15. Thank you for introducing me to Mumford and Sons. OH MY GOSH, GOOD!

16. One thing (of many) you taught me: It's never too late for a girl talk.

17. Listening. You are the best listener I know. You make eye contact, you respond, and you give thoughtful advice. I can truly say I have never met anyone who listens like you do.


18. Honesty. Your honesty helped me grow. It helped me to be honest with myself and my friends. It made my relationships stronger, and helped me to appreciate ours even more.

19. Laughter. Cures everything.

20. You're the only person I know who drinks milk with her popcorn. I always thought it was disgusting. Until the other day. You were right. A wonderful combo!

21. I'm so glad your camera takes better pictures then mine. And that you appreciate taking pictures to commemorate the different stages in your life. Because those pictures remind me of the happiness that we have shared together.

22. Remember that time we got kicked out of Cara's room for being too loud. And the time I asked Cara to open the window and she opened it about 1mm. And all of the times we did homework in your room. And watched Grey's. And all of the girl talks we had, you, me and Cara. And hearing Cara's shoes clicking down the hallway, and my slippers shuffling. I miss those times. But so glad I have those memories.


23. Your loyalty to your friends stretches for miles, and I admire it. You have always been there for me through thick and thin, good and bad. You literally picked me off the ground when my world came shattering down upon the news of my Grandfather. You held me, gave me a shoulder to cry on, and listened to me and my insecurities. I only hope I have been as good as a friend to you as you have been to me. 


Happy happy happy happy happy happy birthday, Amanda! I hope it is all you wish it to be and more.

Love you, always!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my God, this is the best thing ever! Thank you times a million!

    I was almost in tears by the end of the first two paragraphs... and then I realized there was more! I'm going to bookmark this and try to remember to read it on rough days. Because there will be rough days, but with friendships like ours, we'll get through them.

    I wish we could have a dance party right now while listening to Mellencamp and then bake muffins and then watch Gilmore Girls. (I hope no one reading your blog minds the spoilers haha!)

    #20 made me laugh! I'm so glad you tried it! A few people here found out my love for the milk/popcorn combo the other day and they thought it sounded disgusting haha

    Where did the 5th photo down come from? I don't think I've ever seen it but I love it!

    You have totally been as good a friend! Probably even better. Thank you for always being there. Thank you for loving me. Thank you for this. It means more than you can ever know, to know that you're thinking of me today.

    I love you! Copper BOOM!

    ReplyDelete