Monday, August 27, 2012

Update from Calgary - Week Two

Another week has come and gone. My mind can't fathom how quickly time is flying by. I've been in Calgary for a little over two weeks! The longer I'm here the more I love this city. I can't believe how quickly I've adjusted to this life. Mind you, I still have some adjusting to do. All things considered though, I thought at this point I'd be in rough shape between home sickness and stress. But alas, I'm happy, healthy...and employed! 

That's right. After applying for about 8 different jobs, I received an email inviting me to an interview for a job as a Program Director and accepted the job 24 hours later. I start my training tomorrow morning, and I am so excited to get back into working with youth and starting a regular routine. 

Besides getting the job this week, I also took two days to recertify my First Aid and CPR. I feel like I spent the majority of my week traveling on buses and CTrains for interviews and courses. Calgary is a BIG city. So sometimes when you think it might only take 20 minutes to get somewhere, on the bus it's usually doubled plus some more. So, to get to my First Aid and CPR course this week that started at 8am, I had to be on the bus for 6:45am. Those of you who know me well know that I am NOT a morning person. I can't wait to move into my apartment and set up the ol' Keurig and have a cup of coffee instantly with the flick of a button.


I love the downtown area of Calgary. I only live about a 10 minute car ride away from the city centre. Last weekend, I found a cute little cafe that has wifi and sat outside in the sun skyping with Kathryn. I did the same thing on Thursday after my interview and skyped with Sara. What in the world would I do without Skype? It's keeping me in touch with my loved ones and making me feel like I'm still part of things. In fact, I even skyped with my Grandmom this week! I'm so proud of her for being able to figure it out, and it was so nice to see her face. The conversation just feels a little more personable when you can see the person rather then just here the voice - especially for me: the hand talker.

This weekend was nice and relaxing as well. On Friday, Andrea, Jenny, and I went shopping at a mall downtown, had supper at a delicious restaurant called "Earl's" and hit up some Noraebong (Korean Karaoke). Fun, relaxing, and a great way to celebrate us all being employed and loving life in Calgary!

Andrea and Jenny have gotten me addicted to the show The Vampire Diaries. After sleeping in and running errands for the first part of the day, we had a movie night and watched what I'm pretty sure was 7 episodes of the show and dined on some pretty delicious snacks. Mmm baked brie! Today, we got up much earlier and ventured to the Calgary Farmers Market. What a neat place! A wide variety of places to eat and lots of local food and treats to choose from. I had a burger from Silver Sage Burger and a cream puff from Cruffs. Mmm! I also bought some local corn on the cob, green beans, and HUGE peaches. I think that made for a very successful first trip to the Market.



All in all, life is swell. I started journaling again - which I'm hoping to do a better job at keep up more often this time around. No fear though, this blog will still remain intact.

No comments:

Post a Comment