Tuesday, November 29, 2011

December.

Have I told you how excited I am for December to arrive? It really has to be my favourite month of the year for many reasons. Why you ask? Allow me to explain:

  • Even though I don't like winter, I like December because winter is fresh and exciting. I haven't gotten annoyed yet with slipping on ice and scrapping snow off my car every morning. The weather and scenery is just gorgeous. Throughout the month of December all I want to do is curl up on the couch in my blanket, sip a cup of hot chocolate, and watch fun and heart warming Christmas movies. My favourite - A Christmas Story. Every Christmas, my brother and I watch this movie on television. One of the tv stations played it on repeat all Christmas Day when we were kids. By the end of the day, we'd have watched it probably twice. Oh, the memories.
  • All the family time. I traveled home and spent this weekend with my Mom and Dad. We decorated the house for Christmas. Mom and I went to the only hardware store and the only "general" store in my hometown on a search for bows and lights. We got the lights, but were unsuccessful in getting the bows. Nevertheless, the house looks festive and happy! In a couple of weekends, I'll be heading to my Grandmom's house to help her decorate her Christmas tree - which leads me to my third point…

  • Traditions. Most of our traditions take place on Christmas Day. We get up, open our stockings, make a delicious and grand breakfast, eat, do the dishes, open presents (one at a time so everyone sees what each other got), nap time, mingling, Christmas dinner, movie time!, bed. One of my favourite traditions was started about 4 years ago. It has been tradition that I stay at my Grandmom and Grandad's house 2 weeks before Christmas and work for my Uncle Mark. In that time, we take one night and decorate the Christmas tree. There is a method to our madness. The lights have to be equally distributed throughout the tree, the beads have to hang just right, and Grandmom always shares the stories for different ornaments when we take them out of the box. Grandad always sat and watched. He would often tease us about the tree being lop-sided or not having enough lights on one side of the tree. Memories that always bring a smile to my face. I'm excited for new traditions too - this year I will be purchasing and decorating my very own Christmas tree in my own house (with my roomie and friend Amanda). I can't wait! 
  • Christmas music - there really is nothing like it. I can't chose a favourite, but one that brings back a lot of memories and reminds me of my Mom, Dad and brother Brad decorating our tree at home throughout the years is Mary's Boy by Boney M
  • And a new addition to this December…a family trip! On December 31st, Mom, Dad, Brad, Grandmom and I will travel to Florida and spend a week away together. A trip that we have been planning for quite some time. I can't wait! 
Here's to December, and the hopes for another great month! 

1 comment:

  1. Your Christmas traditions sound wonderful! I can't wait to decorate our own tree!

    ReplyDelete