Friday, October 21, 2011

Dear Melissa.

I came home from school yesterday to a friendly letter waiting for me from my Great Uncle David who lives in Vancouver. He's a pretty special guy, and I had the pleasure of getting to know him for the first time this spring during my Grandad's illness. It was so ironic that the letter was sitting pretty on the table when I came home as I had thought about Uncle David yesterday and wondered when I would be receiving a response letter from him. I walked in the door and yelled out "YES! I had a feeling I would have mail today!" :)
This letter was a little bit different then our past exchanges of written word and email. This letter was emotional, it made me rethink where my life is, and it inspired me to pick up my socks and be the best Melissa I can be. I wanted to share some of the quotes that impacted me the most when reading this letter, in hopes that it will evoke something from within you:

- "I might have wished that I could have done more, or done things a bit differently, but usually I can say: "I did the best I could."
- "Death is so much a apart of life. We are living and dying at the same time."
- "I'm much more determined to get the most out of life [and] to not waste my time."

Though this mail brought out more emotions in me then I have experienced in a while, I carry it close to my heart. It is one of the most special pieces of writing I have ever received. Words can not express my sincere gratitude for this letter. All I can say is thank you, and send my love and hugs through a letter to him in return.

1 comment:

  1. This was a beautiful letter. You are lucky to have him, and he is lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete